In our Elite Team post for this week, We would like to highlight a few local businesses and organizations that help to give back to the Flagstaff community through affordable housing programs, financial assistance, and counseling for members of the community.
Housing Solutions of Northern Arizona & Sharon Manor
Housing solutions of Northern Arizona is a Non-profit housing organization that was founded in 1990 by local members of the Flagstaff community who saw that there was something lacking for the lower income population of town and that was affordable housing and programs that help guide people towards that first home purchase. What started as a small advocacy organization now has developed into an organization focused on programs to help Local residents identify and maintain safe, decent, and affordable housing.
Here are some of the many programs that Housing solutions of Northern Arizona use to give back and help the Flagstaff community:
Sharon Manor is for women and their children who have been in the tough living environment of domestic violence and homelessness.
This program is a longer term supportive and assistance program for up to 2 years that incorporates affordable housing.
This program helps both adults and children who our in difficult situations from domestic violence. Adult residents getting support are required to take 20 hours a week of continuing education, which can feature many programs such as workshops, classes and group meetings that help with financial planning, future employment and personal development that helps prepare them for getting back out into the work force.
For children, the program offers guidance programs to help them get through the trauma of their life situations and to learn effective communication, anger management, and appropriate behaviors in society. The volunteers that help the kids through these difficult times are incredible in their efforts to help build up the kids for future success after leaving the program.
Sharon Manor has a capacity to house up to 24 families. They have an 8 unit communal living complex and a 16 unit apartment complex with 2 and 3 bedroom units the land that the units are on was donated by the City of Flagstaff through funding by the HOME program and the State of Arizona. Depending on the ages and genders of children, Sharon Manor has the capacity to serve up to 24 individuals with 52 children at any one time.
There is also a store called Sharon’s Attic Thrift Store to donate, located at:
Housing Solutions of Northern Arizona offers professional HUD-approved counseling services to people who need guidance in preventing a foreclosure on one’s property. This counseling service is available in counties all across Arizona from Coconino, Yavapai, and Mohave County. The counseling service is no-fee through government and private grant funding.
Here is a link to a guide from the U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development for homeowners: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/cf6dc3_58ce2487c44349fda438af2d906721e4.pdf
Housing Solutions of Northern Arizona offers credit counseling to families interested in learning more about their credit at a fee of $19.90 per report. If a client’s household income is less than 1½ times the federal poverty level, Housing Solutions will waive the fee and seek grant funding to offset their expenses. This is another way that Housing Solutions helps clients, homebuyers, or renters in working to educate and achieve their goals.
Housing Solutions is a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, and they offer many more programs for guidance prior to a home purchase. Alongside the counseling, they offer Financial Assistance through down payment or Match savings programs all this to help eligible, low-income first-time homebuyers.
Housing Solutions is able to offer this assistance through 3 different Assistance programs:
• The First assistance program is the (WISH) Workforce Initiative Subsidy for Homeownership: This is a matching program with anywhere from 5000 to 15000 in assistance possible. The first-time home buyer must come up with a minimum of 2000 or 1% of the purchase price (whichever is greater) from their own personal funds. Here is the link to the attached flyer for more information: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/cf6dc3_c7095b280a654d4ea44de65ddd93d3cb.pdf
• The second assistance program is the (EAH) City of Flagstaff Employer Assisted Housing: This program is for City of Flagstaff Employees who are eligible in the amount of $10,000. This money can be used for a down payment or Closing costs for the purchase of a home. Here is the link for more information: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/cf6dc3_f19042e6f89b401680df2c884bfa9836.pdf
• The third assistance program is (CHAP) Community Homebuyer Assistance program: This program helps cover the gap from which a household can afford up to $15,000. Buyers are required to pay $2000 or 1% of the purchase price (whichever is greater). This program is made possible by Housing solutions partnership with the city of Flagstaff. Here is a link to the flyer for more information: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/cf6dc3_862d25cb02514a279470b7f62355c7ed.pdf
Housing Solutions offers 21 properties around Flagstaff for Rent to families that qualify. They comply with the HUD Fair Housing Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (families with children under 18 years of age or pregnancy, or disability (physical and/or mental).
Here is a link for the Flagstaff Resource Guide: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/cf6dc3_ffda40249ae74e1d8c51054f6418e7ad.pdf
Great Circle Media
Great Circle Media serves Flagstaff and Prescott and is the local radio station here in Flagstaff serving country music fans with 92.9 KAFF, and KAFF Country Legends 93-5. For classic rock, they have 93.9 The Mountain, and for those alternative rock fans, they have The Eagle Rocks 103.7. For contemporary music, they have Magic 99.1, and for the top 40 station they have Hits 106 at 106.1. Great Circle Media is also the Official Broadcast partner of Northern Arizona University Athletics. They are involved and support a lot of great local charities, including We Care Northern Arizona and the Shadows Foundation:
We Care Northern Arizona
We Care Northern Arizona is a group of individuals and facilities that focus on Suicide Prevention and Awareness information. Originally, the program was started in April 2015 as a campaign to develop Suicide Prevention and Awareness Videos for NACA and it’s grown from there.
They have a committee of volunteers with a wide variety of experiences. Anyone that would like to join in spreading the word about Suicide Prevention is welcome.
This is a troubling thing that effects people not only in Flagstaff and around Arizona, but all over the country and the world. The Arizona Suicide Prevention Coalition (AZSPC) partnered with the Arizona Department of Health Services and the Division of Behavioral Health Sciences (DBHS/ADHS) and Arizona State University in 2009 to setup the Arizona Suicide Prevention Project (ASPP). This project’s goal was to reduce the suicide rate among Arizona youth ages 15-24. Since 2009 this group has worked through LGBTQ Groups and others to provide training for educators, behavioral health providers, and juvenile corrections professionals. They have also worked hard at setting up referral networks to increase health services for at-risk youth, and to expand the support services for survivors of suicide loss. Arizona’s Suicide Prevention plan is available through this link: http://www.azspc.org/.
If you or anyone close to you is having issues or thoughts of Suicide please ask for help. For more information regarding We Care Northern Arizona please visit their website at https://www.wecarenaz.org/.
The Shadows Foundation is a local, nonprofit organization, based in Flagstaff, Arizona. The Shadows Foundation is dedicated to helping individuals in need who are affected by life threatening diseases by providing services and financial assistance when those people affected need it most. By partnering with local businesses, seeking grants, working with private donors, and holding fund raising events, the Shadows Foundation gives assistance and services to people and families who are impacted by these terrible diseases and tries to help in many different ways from fundraising, to grocery shopping for those people fighting the diseases.
The Shadows foundation helps in many different ways through their Shadows Assistance Services:
• Rehabilitation Services Assistance: this service is provided to an applicant who qualifies for assistance, and through the Shadows Foundation, they will help with the cost of programs needed for rehabilitation after surgery and during recovery.
• Transportation services are offered as well through pre-paid gas cards which are donated from sponsors,. These are then provided to patients/individuals for transportation to and from Hospitals and treatment facilities.
• Medication payments are provided through the foundation to people whose insurance may not cover these extra costs.
• The Shadows foundation goes that extra mile in helping with living expenses, which insurance companies usually do not cover. They will help a person cover the necessary costs of utilities such as gas, electric, and water.
• They offer professional services support for people who may need counseling, or household repairs done on a home. They work with many local businesses to try and set up a solution to many problems one may have because of their fight with disease.
• The final assistance they offer is for special diets and/ or foods that individuals may need due to an illness.
These many assistance programs just go to show you how the Shadows foundation can help in so many different ways from getting gas for your car to helping with purchasing groceries. They are involved in so many different programs that help and give back to those less fortunate in the community.
Fundraising Events that The Shadows Foundation hosts:
• LOL Comedy night with the Shadows foundation: This event is a big hit, because who doesn’t like comedy? The event is usually hosted by the Museum Club and the next 3 events on the schedule are for Thursday June, 20th, 2019. Tuesday July 25th, 2019, and Thursday September 26th, 2019. Come on out and see a great comedy show and support a great cause.
• The Mystery of Murder Dinner & Show: This event is hosted in the spring and is very popular. You are given many clues to try and solve the murder. You will have to wait until next year for this one, but put it on your calendar now for 2020 spring.
• The Feast Fur-All Food Truck Festival: This event was held last weekend on May 25th, 2019 and was another success with everyone braving the May storms we had this year. It is a great event that showcases the diversity that Flagstaff has in Food Trucks, another event to put on the schedule for next year.
• 5th Annual Huckin For Hearts Disc Golf Tournament: This fun disc golf tournament was Held at Fort Tuthill on June 1st. If you weren’t able to participate, we recommend putting it on your calendar for 2020!
• 9th Annual Heart of Hope Golf Tournament: This event will be held on August 16th, 2019, and is another popular event hosted by Flagstaff Ranch Golf Club. If you are interested in playing please reach out to Davina at 928-235-6599.
• 9th Annual Heart of Hope Celebration: This dinner will be held the following day after the Golf tournament at Twin Arrows Casino Resort East of Flagstaff on Interstate I-40 on Saturday, August 17th, 2019. There is still availability if you would like to join.
• The 911 Color Run: This is another popular event hosted by the Shadows foundation. This event will be held on September 28, 2019 and is fun for the whole family if you would like more information go to: https://www.shadowsfoundation.org/911colorrun
• Big Sting – It’s a Country Thing: This country music festival is hosted on the banks of Watson Lake in Prescott Valley during October 10-13th, 2019. This event offers concerts, food, beer, camping, horseshoe tournaments, corn hole and more. This is open to 3000 people before all the tickets get sold out. Don’t miss out on this fun festival.
• Shop with a Cop and First Responders too: This is the final event on the calendar for the Shadows foundation for 2019. Twenty lucky children get to go Shop with a Cop in support of the Northern Arizona Law Enforcement toy drive. Last year Shadows was able to raise over 3,000 for the Toy drive. Lets make 2019 an even bigger year!
With all these fun events for such great causes lets not forget about those less fortunate and help them with Better Bucks, for more information reading this great program follow this link: https://www.shadowsfoundation.org/better-bucks